Project Vahana intends to open up urban airways by developing the first certified electric, self-piloted vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) passenger aircraft. We envision Vahana being as a cost-comparable replacement for short-range urban transportation like cars or trains. A core premise of this project is that full automation and sense-and-avoid technology will allow us to achieve higher safety levels by minimizing human error while allowing more vehicles to share the sky. As a platform, Vahana can be as diverse as its wheeled grounded counterpart when being used for cargo delivery, emergency services, search and rescue, or even as a tool to deploy modular infrastructure in disaster sites. There is no other project that we know of that incorporates this much automation in vertical flight. With Airbus’ long history in aircraft certification and safety, we are uniquely positioned to realize large-scale automated flight within urban environments.
As an Aeroacoustics Engineer, your role will be to design and analyze a new multi-rotor, electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft using multi-fidelity tools that range from semi-empirical methods to high-fidelity CFD. You will be involved in all stages of vehicle development, from the initial conceptual design and modeling to detailed aerodynamic design and shape optimization. You will be responsible for predicting the community and cabin noise for an innovative vehicle, and validating those predictions through component and full-scale flight testing. You have an intuitive understanding of the main sources of aircraft and rotorcraft noise, as well as the tools and experience to reduce noise. You are familiar with aircraft noise certification tests, and perceived noise metrics.
To get specific, your responsibilities will be to:
- Conduct acoustic analysis of unconventional eVTOL vehicles, including Aerodynamic analysis to predict unsteady loads
- Noise prediction
- Atmospheric propagation
- Calculating noise footprints and perceived noise metrics
- Perform aerodynamic shape optimization to reduce community and cabin noise
- Influence the interior design to reduce cabin noise and improve passenger comfort
- Validate models with wind tunnel, subsystem, and/or flight test data
- MS or PhD degree in Aerospace Engineering or a related discipline
- At least 3 years experience in the field of aerodynamic and aeroacoustic design and analysis of rotorcraft or other VTOL vehicles
- Optimization experience, acoustic optimization preferred
- Python and/or Matlab proficiency and shell scripting
- Version control with Git or another DVCS
- Familiarity with aircraft noise certification standards
- Familiarity with aircraft propeller and helicopter rotor design and analysis
- Familiarity with multi-disciplinary optimization
- CFD experience, chimera/overset grid methods preferred
- HPC for CFD and aeroacoustics analysis
- Familiarity with low-fidelity acoustic tools (e.g. PSU-WOPWOP) and high-fidelity tools like Lattice Boltzmann solvers
- Experimental acoustic measurement experience
- Agile methods, and related tools, e.g. JIRA, Bitbucket;
- CAD suites, Solidworks and PDM preferred
A3 by Airbus is the Silicon Valley R&D outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A3 is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A3, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky and time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product.
A3 develops technology partnerships enabling us to work within the Silicon Valley ecosystem to meet project objectives while connecting our parent company to new developments and the talent here. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets and sponsors of projects that emerge from A3.
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
A3 by Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A3 are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.