Sustainable growth is critical to the future of the aviation industry and life on Earth. By accelerating global weather sensing at scale, Project Monark aims to help future-proof both. To do so, the team is focused on scaling up weather-related measurements using commercial aircraft, weather balloons and autonomous flying platforms in order to directly and significantly benefit both weather forecasting and commercial aviation.
A3 by Airbus is the Silicon Valley outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A3 is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A3, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky, time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product. A3 partnerships — with startups, established companies, and research institutions — power our projects and allow us to work successfully within the Silicon Valley ecosystem. They often connect our parent company to new developments and talent here too. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets for projects that emerge from A3.
As an Industrial Designer with Monark, you will report directly to the Project Executive and will make product/design decisions that span the whole design spectrum, from the high-level product vision and human-machine interaction to rapid prototyping and experimentation. In this role, you will use your experience to link together the three topic areas within project Monark: Weather Analytic Tools, Aircraft as Weather Sensors, and Global Sensing at Scale. Your job will be to design and build experiences that align with our mission and communicate how we will have a positive impact on safety and sustainability of aviation as well as life on Earth through improving weather forecasting skill. This is a complicated, beautiful topic you will get a chance to be creative in how to communicate the vision of Monark to both internal and external stakeholders of all backgrounds and ages. When problems arise, you will help the team find creative solutions. You will work with cross-functional subject matter experts and management to identify strategic technologies and processes for long-term research.
To get specific, your responsibilities will be to:
- Create narratives and engaging story-telling
- Design , Build, Test & Iterate
- Facilitate the communication of complex and interdisciplinary topics around weather and aviation as well as our approach to a wider audience.
We expect you to have:
- Bachelor and/or Master’s degree in Architecture, Industrial Design, Fashion Technology, Human Interaction, Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering or a related Engineering field or equivalent life experience.
- 3+ years experience in a product design role
- A strong portfolio of creative product design illustrating a deep appreciation for aesthetics, storytelling and creativity
- A fluency in rapid prototyping, digital design and manufacturing methods
- A demonstrated understanding of how to design complex systems and connect the complexity to digestible content.
Nice to haves:
- Participation in MIT media lab or ARS Electronica projects or activities.
- Data visualization, analysis for distributed sensing, weather forecasts and geospatial data sets.
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
A3 by Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A3 are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.