Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power self-piloted aircraft applications throughout Airbus, from small urban air vehicles (aka air taxis) to large commercial airplanes. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry - our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As an Integration and Test Engineer, you will report to the Director of Engineering at Wayfinder. In this role, you will work to integrate and test our software and hardware systems on benchtop, surrogate vehicle, and full-scale vehicle platforms. Since our work encompasses many engineering disciplines, you should expect to work closely with our subject matter experts across the team and expand your knowledge as an engineering generalist. As a senior engineer, you will be responsible for ensuring that our systems are reliable and robust. You will also drive our testing activities with an emphasis on safety while maintaining urgency and a bias toward action.
- Lead integration of Wayfinder systems for test campaigns
- Generate documentation and processes for testing our systems that keep us on schedule while maintaining quality and safety at all times
- Support flight test operations on surrogate and full-scale vehicles
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, aerospace, or electrical engineering, or a related discipline
- 5+ years of progressive experience in engineering
- 2+ years of progressive experience integrating computer and sensor systems for complex robotic systems
- Demonstrated deep knowledge of at least one of the following topics: mechanical prototyping of ruggedized systems, electrical prototyping of sense and compute systems, or software testing of complex robotic systems
Strongly preferred qualifications:
- Real-world experience building and testing aircraft, especially UAS
- Mechanical prototyping experience, including with CAD software, basic machining, and additive manufacturing
- Electrical prototyping experience, including with system bringup and debugging, analysis using digital multimeters and oscilloscopes, and basic circuit design and analysis
- Experience with Python or another interpreted programming language
- Daily lunch and snacks, happy hours; social outings
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (25 days) in addition to 9 national holidays
- Tuition reimbursement for professional development or $15,000 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym subsidy & more
A³ by Airbus is the Silicon Valley R&D outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A³ is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A³, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky and time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product.
A³ develops technology partnerships enabling us to work within the Silicon Valley ecosystem to meet project objectives while connecting our parent company to new developments and the talent here. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets and sponsors of projects that emerge from A³.
A³ by Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.