Project Vahana intends to open up urban airways by developing the first certified electric, self-piloted vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) passenger aircraft. We envision Vahana being as a cost-comparable replacement for short-range urban transportation like cars or trains. A core premise of this project is that full automation and sense-and-avoid technology will allow us to achieve higher safety levels by minimizing human error while allowing more vehicles to share the sky. As a platform, Vahana can be as diverse as its wheeled grounded counterpart when being used for cargo delivery, emergency services, search and rescue, or even as a tool to deploy modular infrastructure in disaster sites. There is no other project that we know of that incorporates this much automation in vertical flight. With Airbus’ long history in aircraft certification and safety, we are uniquely positioned to realize large-scale automated flight within urban environments.
Airbus believes in the potential of Urban Air Mobility (UAM) to transform our cities for the better. By pushing the limits of technology in the fields of connectivity, artificial intelligence, autonomous systems and electric propulsion, our aim is to develop sustainable mobility systems that bring maximal societal benefit while causing minimal environmental impact. To this end, Airbus is harnessing its expertise across the company to develop solutions that will unlock the third dimension of urban mobility and offer viable alternatives to connect people.
As a Senior Avionics Software Engineer you will report directly to the Avionics Lead Engineer and your responsibilities will include;
- Unleash your creativity to architect and build robust hardware and software test platforms for the avionics, actuators, and sensors of Vahana;
- Develop innovative strategies to improve test coverage within a fast paced environment;
- Enhance Vahana hardware-in-the-loop test automation platform and simulation environment;
- Support our continuous integration workflow by enabling automatic deployment and testing of the latest code updates;
- Lead test campaigns on avionics components and sub-systems and write test plans and test reports;
- Contribute to postflight data analysis;
- Ensure traceability of the test results to the system requirements;
We expect that you will have the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant subject such as Software Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering;
- Track record of system testing and data analysis;
- At least five years of experience with software development;
- Mastery of Python and Object Oriented Designs;
- Knowledge of flight controls, avionics or dynamic models;
- Familiarity with Robot Framework or similar test automation tools;
- Ultimately, we need you to be able to enjoy the fun, excitement, and fast pace of A3.
You are a team player who enjoys learning continuously. You know how to earn the trust of a team and you are accountable for your actions. We need you to be technology savvy and adaptable, so you can develop new solutions to support the nascent UAM organization. Ultimately, we need you to be able to convey the fun, excitement, and fast pace of Airbus UAM.
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.