Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power self-piloted aircraft applications throughout Airbus, from small urban air vehicles (aka air taxis) to large commercial airplanes. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry - our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will report to the Head of Infrastructure at Wayfinder. Our infrastructure team is responsible for the systems that enable us to deliver quality software at scale. In this role, you will focus on the parts of our infrastructure used for developing machine learning based computer vision algorithms. With your expertise, you will enable our machine learning team to iterate rapidly by automating key processes including data curation, model training, and deployment.
- Work with the machine learning team to understand what they are building and how they are building it
- Develop modular pipelines to support the model training and validation process
- Instrument and measure performance of the entire machine learning workflow, identify bottlenecks, and work with the team to resolve them
- Work with other engineers to ensure that code follows best practices and is of consistently high quality across our entire codebase
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related discipline
- 5+ years of progressive experience in software engineering
- Strong understanding of machine learning pipelines for computer vision algorithms
- Working knowledge of at least one popular machine learning framework (TensorFlow or PyTorch preferred)
- Experience with data pipeline or general purpose pipeline tools (Airflow, Jenkins, or others)
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, well-structured, and well-documented code in Python
- A flexible, pragmatic attitude to contribute across various efforts as needed
Strongly preferred qualifications:
- Real-world experience working with a world-class machine learning team
- Previous experience with terabyte size working datasets
- Previous experience deploying trained models on inference hardware
- Previous experience scaling training jobs to multiple multi-GPU nodes
- Real-world experience developing software for robots, cars, or aircraft
- Daily lunch and snacks, happy hours; social outings
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (25 days) in addition to 9 national holidays
- Tuition reimbursement for professional development or $15,000 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym subsidy & more
A³ by Airbus is the Silicon Valley R&D outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A³ is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A³, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky and time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product.
A³ develops technology partnerships enabling us to work within the Silicon Valley ecosystem to meet project objectives while connecting our parent company to new developments and the talent here. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets and sponsors of projects that emerge from A³.
A³ by Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.