Project Vahana intends to open up urban airways by developing the first certified electric, self-piloted vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) passenger aircraft. We envision Vahana being as a cost-comparable replacement for short-range urban transportation like cars or trains. A core premise of this project is that full automation and sense-and-avoid technology will allow us to achieve higher safety levels by minimizing human error while allowing more vehicles to share the sky. As a platform, Vahana can be as diverse as its wheeled grounded counterpart when being used for cargo delivery, emergency services, search and rescue, or even as a tool to deploy modular infrastructure in disaster sites. There is no other project that we know of that incorporates this much automation in vertical flight. With Airbus’ long history in aircraft certification and safety, we are uniquely positioned to realize large-scale automated flight within urban environments.
Airbus believes in the potential of Urban Air Mobility (UAM) to transform our cities for the better. By pushing the limits of technology in the fields of connectivity, artificial intelligence, autonomous systems and electric propulsion, our aim is to develop sustainable mobility systems that bring maximal societal benefit while causing minimal environmental impact. To this end, Airbus is harnessing its expertise across the company to develop solutions that will unlock the third dimension of urban mobility and offer viable alternatives to connect people.
The avionics team is designing an innovative platform to enable autonomous flights in an Urban environment. If you have a passion to architect and design complex, safety critical systems, our team is looking for a Senior Avionics System Engineer, reporting directly to the Head of Avionics, motivated by this unique opportunity to define the future of flight.
To get specific, your responsibilities will be to:
- Contribute to the definition of a state of the art hardware and software architecture compliant to stringent safety and security requirements to develop the first certified avionics for a fully autonomous manned vehicle;
- Conduct safety analysis to inform architecture decisions and requirements specification;
- Conduct technology studies and trade-off analysis accounting for performance, cost, schedule, risk, safety and certifiability aspects with internal and external partners;
- Establish innovative processes to continuously improve the quality and efficiency of the system engineering processes;
We expect that you will have the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant subject such as Software Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering;
- Experienced in full lifecycle development in the aviation industry, including requirements, design, integration, validation, and verification;
- Deep understanding of the ARP4761 safety analysis process (FHA, FSA, FTA, FMEA);
- Experienced with development and test processes supporting aircraft certification (ARP4754, DO-178B/C, DO-254, DO-160 and DO-356);
- Good knowledge of avionics technologies (flight computers, communication buses, navigation sensors, flight management systems…);
- Familiarity with modeling languages is a plus (e.g. SysML or UML);
- Familiarity with development of schematics and cable drawings is a plus;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ultimately, we need you to be able to enjoy the fun, excitement, and fast pace of A3.
A³ by Airbus is the Silicon Valley R&D outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A³ is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A³, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky and time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype.
A³ develops technology partnerships enabling us to work within the Silicon Valley ecosystem to meet project objectives while connecting our parent company to new developments and the talent here. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets and sponsors of projects that emerge from A³.
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
A³ by Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.