Project Vahana intends to open up urban airways by developing the first certified electric, self-piloted vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) passenger aircraft. We envision Vahana being as a cost-comparable replacement for short-range urban transportation like cars or trains. A core premise of this project is that full automation and sense-and-avoid technology will allow us to achieve higher safety levels by minimizing human error while allowing more vehicles to share the sky. As a platform, Vahana can be as diverse as its wheeled grounded counterpart when being used for cargo delivery, emergency services, search and rescue, or even as a tool to deploy modular infrastructure in disaster sites. There is no other project that we know of that incorporates this much automation in vertical flight. With Airbus’ long history in aircraft certification and safety, we are uniquely positioned to realize large-scale automated flight within urban environments.
Airbus believes in the potential of Urban Air Mobility (UAM) to transform our cities for the better. By pushing the limits of technology in the fields of connectivity, artificial intelligence, autonomous systems and electric propulsion, our aim is to develop sustainable mobility systems that bring maximal societal benefit while causing minimal environmental impact. To this end, Airbus is harnessing its expertise across the company to develop solutions that will unlock the third dimension of urban mobility and offer viable alternatives to connect people.
As a Process and Tools Systems Engineer for Airbus Urban Mobility, you will support a rapidly growing team in the development of complex systems involving both software and hardware workstreams, onboard and on the ground. You will ensure that these teams are provided the framework that will allow them to develop their systems in a coherent way, being cognisant of both their constraints and working style while ensuring compliance to industry standards. You will mentor them in implementing these processes , ensure continual alignment of all stakeholders, flag potential deviations and provide insights for harmonization. You will report directly to the Head of Systems Engineering.
To get specific, you will:
- Be responsible for the SEMP (including requirements, risks, and PDP)
- Own the configuration of the relevant supporting tools
- Provides support in implementing, and/or administering engineering activities
- Ensure traceability and compliance throughout design, verification, and validation in accordance with industry standards
Within 3 months you will:
- Get to know the team! Engage with key stakeholders and become familiar with the UAM ecosystem
- Formalize these discussions into a SEMP.
- Contribute to the identification of program objectives and technical development
- Take ownership of the relevant tools
Within 6 months you will:
- Provide support and mentoring to the teams
- Provide technical Coordination across teams to support the development plan
- Manage Key performance indicators including risks
- Support program management
Within 12 months you will:
- Continually monitor the state of the development process and ensure it closely tracks both stakeholders needs and documented requirements
- Engage in planning verification and validation activities
We expect that you will have :
- A bachelor degree or higher in a relevant subject such as Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Software engineering or Systems Engineering
- At least five years of relevant work experience
- Experienced with development and test processes supporting aircraft certification (ARP4754, DO-178C, DO-254, DO-160G);
- Knowledge of requirement management tools (Doors, Enovia, Polarion..)
- Familiarity with Model Based System Engineering is a strong plus
- Excellent communication skills
You are a team player who enjoys learning continuously. You know how to earn the trust of a team and you are accountable for your actions. We need you to be technology savvy and adaptable, so you can develop new solutions to support the nascent UAM organization. Ultimately, we need you to be able to convey the fun, excitement, and fast pace of Airbus UAM.
Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
We need you to be technology savvy and adaptable, so you can develop new solutions that match the evolving nature of A³’s start-up business model. Ultimately, we need you to be able to convey the fun, excitement, and fast pace of A³ to potential employees and increase the overall employment brand of A³.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.