Project Vahana intends to open up urban airways by developing the first certified electric, self-piloted vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) passenger aircraft. We envision Vahana being as a cost-comparable replacement for short-range urban transportation like cars or trains. A core premise of this project is that full automation and sense-and-avoid technology will allow us to achieve higher safety levels by minimizing human error while allowing more vehicles to share the sky. As a platform, Vahana can be as diverse as its wheeled grounded counterpart when being used for cargo delivery, emergency services, search and rescue, or even as a tool to deploy modular infrastructure in disaster sites. There is no other project that we know of that incorporates this much automation in vertical flight. With Airbus’ long history in aircraft certification and safety, we are uniquely positioned to realize large-scale automated flight within urban environments.
Airbus believes in the potential of Urban Air Mobility (UAM) to transform our cities for the better. By pushing the limits of technology in the fields of connectivity, artificial intelligence, autonomous systems and electric propulsion, our aim is to develop sustainable mobility systems that bring maximal societal benefit while causing minimal environmental impact. To this end, Airbus is harnessing its expertise across the company to develop solutions that will unlock the third dimension of urban mobility and offer viable alternatives to connect people.
The avionics team is designing an innovative platform to enable autonomous flights in an Urban environment. You have a passion for sensing, state estimation and navigation technologies. You know all the secrets of Kalman filters, have a deep understanding of radio based positioning technologies and experience with vision based navigation. Our team is looking for a Senior Navigation Engineer, reporting directly to the Head of Avionics, motivated by this unique opportunity to define the future of flight.
To get specific, your responsibilities will be to:
- Contribute to the definition of a state of the art navigation architecture compliant to stringent safety and security requirements for Urban Air Mobility;
- Conduct technology studies and trade-off analysis accounting for performance, cost, schedule, risk, safety and certifiability aspects;
- Team up with partners and suppliers to specify, design, build and test aircraft components;
- Lead prototyping and testing activities to support the maturation of the Navigation System and technologies.
- Contribute to the architecture and development of creative test setups to verify the robustness and performance of your solutions;
- Contribute to relevant working groups and standardization bodies to ensure alignment with standards and regulations;
We expect that you will have most of the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant subject such as Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Aerospace Engineering
- Deep understanding of inertial navigation systems, GNSS, radio navigation systems and sensor hybridation.
- Exposure to vision based sensors, LIDAR or other non conventional aircraft sensors.
- Solid understanding of position estimation methods (AoA, TOA, TDOA, FDOA...), state estimator design and performance estimation (Fisher Information, Cramér–Rao bound…).
- Hands on experience with state estimation filter design (Kalman filters, EKF, particle filters…), modeling and simulation (Simulink, Matlab, Python…).
- Experienced in full lifecycle development in the aviation industry, including requirements, design, integration, validation, and verification is a plus
- Experienced with development and test processes supporting aircraft certification (ARP4754, ARP-4761, DO-178B/C, DO-254, DO-160 and DO-356) is a plus.
- Familiarity with modeling languages is a plus (SysML, UML…).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
You are a team player who enjoys learning continuously. You know how to earn the trust of a team and you are accountable for your actions. We need you to be technology savvy and adaptable, so you can develop new solutions to support the nascent UAM organization. Ultimately, we need you to be able to convey the fun, excitement, and fast pace of Airbus UAM.
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.