Project Vahana intends to open up urban airways by developing the first certified electric, self-piloted vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) passenger aircraft. We envision Vahana being as a cost-comparable replacement for short-range urban transportation like cars or trains. A core premise of this project is that full automation and sense-and-avoid technology will allow us to achieve higher safety levels by minimizing human error while allowing more vehicles to share the sky. As a platform, Vahana can be as diverse as its wheeled grounded counterpart when being used for cargo delivery, emergency services, search and rescue, or even as a tool to deploy modular infrastructure in disaster sites. There is no other project that we know of that incorporates this much automation in vertical flight. With Airbus’ long history in aircraft certification and safety, we are uniquely positioned to realize large-scale automated flight within urban environments.
As our Flight Controls and Dynamics Engineer, you will report directly to the Lead Flight Controls and Dynamics Engineer and be responsible for designing and implementing the flight controls system, vehicle flight dynamics simulation, and analyzing flight test data to ensure excellent flight performance.
To get specific, your responsibilities will be to:
- Design and implement flight control, navigation, guidance, estimation, and simulation software for unconventional aircraft
- Contribute to the development of nonlinear vehicle dynamics simulations (aerodynamics, propulsion, structures, etc.).
- Analyze sub-scale and full-scale flight test data to assess vehicle performance, and propose and implement improvements to the flight control system and vehicle flight simulation
- Effectively communicate your designs, analysis, and engineering intent with the rest of the engineering team and partners
- Assist the engineering and flight testing team as required
- Make a lasting contribution to the social environment at A³ by participating in social events and proposing new ones, sharing your passions and hobbies, and spreading joy wherever you go
We expect you to have:
- A Master’s or Doctorate degree in Control Systems, Aeronautical, Mechanical, Electrical, or Software Engineering
- At least five years of progressively ambitious experience in the area of vehicle dynamics, controls, and simulation
- A background in fixed-wing, rotorcraft, multi-rotor flight dynamics, aerodynamics and rigid body dynamics
- Expert level knowledge of MATLAB, Simulink, and associated workflows
- Experience designing and testing state estimators
- Experience with typical airborne sensors: IMUs, GPS, Air Data, Lidar, etc
- A strong mathematical background
- Excellent communication skills
- An aptitude for working in small teams, with the ability to take a leading role in your area(s) of specialty and readiness to work across disciplines where appropriate
- Familiarity with aircraft, helicopter, or multi-rotor handling quality requirements
- Familiarity with flight code certification requirements
- Experience with time domain and frequency domain system identification techniques
- Hands on experience with numerical optimization
- Experience with C, C++, or another compiled/systems language and Python or another interpreted language
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.