Project Vahana intends to open up urban airways by developing the first certified electric, self-piloted vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) passenger aircraft. We envision Vahana being as a cost-comparable replacement for short-range urban transportation like cars or trains. A core premise of this project is that full automation and sense-and-avoid technology will allow us to achieve higher safety levels by minimizing human error while allowing more vehicles to share the sky. As a platform, Vahana can be as diverse as its wheeled grounded counterpart when being used for cargo delivery, emergency services, search and rescue, or even as a tool to deploy modular infrastructure in disaster sites. There is no other project that we know of that incorporates this much automation in vertical flight. With Airbus’ long history in aircraft certification and safety, we are uniquely positioned to realize large-scale automated flight within urban environments.
A³ by Airbus is the Silicon Valley R&D outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A³ is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A³, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky and time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product.
A³ develops technology partnerships enabling us to work within the Silicon Valley ecosystem to meet project objectives while connecting our parent company to new developments and the talent here. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets and sponsors of projects that emerge from A³.
Summary: Plan, coordinate and lead vehicle assembly and integration of full-scale electric aircraft including integration and testing of subsystems at all phases throughout project lifecycle, in accordance with exiting and newly-developed safety, aerospace, FAA and quality standards utilizing strong technical understanding of complex aircraft systems and the hardware that merges them into a cohesive system. Create, manage, and execute ground and flight test plans. Analyze test data and generate reports as well as propose medications to vehicle to address any deficiencies in testing.
Specific day-to-day responsibilities:
- Participate in design efforts pertaining to system integration and testing
- Perform component, subsystem, and vehicle integration according to specifications, proper practice and safety standards
- Coordinate with other teams to develop Hardware in the Loop (HIL) simulation infrastructure
- Define, setup and procure all hardware, tools, and equipment needed
- Develop and maintain documentation procedures and standards for components, installation procedures, testing, and changes in accordance with standard quality procedures
- Effectively communicate integration issues with other engineering workstreams
- Seek, investigate, and implement creative solutions to challenges and impediments
- Assist with tracking milestone accomplishments, including integration status, utilizing a variety of existing and custom-designed software tools? Work with internal customers and outside vendors to define and implement tools that don’t yet exist.
- Provide engineering expertise and mentor junior team members in the areas of systems integration, quality control and testing.
Required Education and Experience:
- Position requires a Master's degree in Aeronautical/Aerospace, Mechanical, or Software Engineering and 2 years of experience in job offered or related aircraft integration/testing engineering occupation.
- Employment and background checks may be required.
- Less than 10% travel required to Pendleton, Oregon.
To apply, mail resume and ref. job title and code “DITLE” to Airbus Group HQ, Inc., 915 Walsh Ave, Santa Clara, CA 95050.
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
A³ by Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.