Project Vahana intends to open up urban airways by developing the first certified electric, self-piloted vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) passenger aircraft. We envision Vahana being as a cost-comparable replacement for short-range urban transportation like cars or trains. A core premise of this project is that full automation and sense-and-avoid technology will allow us to achieve higher safety levels by minimizing human error while allowing more vehicles to share the sky. As a platform, Vahana can be as diverse as its wheeled grounded counterpart when being used for cargo delivery, emergency services, search and rescue, or even as a tool to deploy modular infrastructure in disaster sites. There is no other project that we know of that incorporates this much automation in vertical flight. With Airbus’ long history in aircraft certification and safety, we are uniquely positioned to realize large-scale automated flight within urban environments.
As integration and test technician, your role will be to support the engineering team in integrating and testing avionics, structures, electric motors, batteries, electrical harnesses, actuators and other components for our unmanned aircraft.
You have a proven track record of assembling complex electrical and mechanical systems and have an extraordinary ability to maintain a safe and organized workspace while doing so. You are skilled at aircraft wiring lay out, installation and troubleshooting. You are proactive and strive to continuously improve processes with a focus on efficiency, quality and safety. This is a contract opportunity located in Pendleton, Oregon.
To get specific, your responsibilities will be to:
- Maintain the aircraft configuration log
- Keep the shop organized, clean and safe
- Conduct and document vehicle scheduled maintenance
- Troubleshoot issues found by inspection or test and carry out repairs
- Fabricate and install electrical harnesses
- Maintain aircraft readiness to support test schedule
- Support testing activities as a member of the ground crew
- Identify and document operational risks, design flaws, and lessons learned
- Assist the engineering team and flight test team as required
- Make a lasting contribution to the social environment at A³ by participating in social events and proposing new ones, sharing your passions and hobbies, and spreading joy wherever you go
We expect that you will have:
- A high degree of understanding of proper practice and safety in working with high voltage electronic systems
- A strong understanding of systems integration and quality control
- Considerable knowledge and use of electronic test equipment, hand and soldering tools, voltage or amperage measuring devices.
- The ability to read and interpret drawings and schematics
- Experience in operating data acquisition systems for data collection of thermocouples, accelerometers, strain gauges, load cells
- Familiarity with aerospace wiring best practices and standards
- A&P license is a plus
- At least five years of progressively ambitious experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
A³ by Airbus is the Silicon Valley R&D outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A³ is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A³, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky and time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product.
A³ develops technology partnerships enabling us to work within the Silicon Valley ecosystem to meet project objectives while connecting our parent company to new developments and the talent here. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets and sponsors of projects that emerge from A³.
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
A³ by Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.