Project Vahana intends to open up urban airways by developing the first certified electric, self-piloted vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) passenger aircraft. We envision Vahana being as a cost-comparable replacement for short-range urban transportation like cars or trains. A core premise of this project is that full automation and sense-and-avoid technology will allow us to achieve higher safety levels by minimizing human error while allowing more vehicles to share the sky. As a platform, Vahana can be as diverse as its wheeled grounded counterpart when being used for cargo delivery, emergency services, search and rescue, or even as a tool to deploy modular infrastructure in disaster sites. There is no other project that we know of that incorporates this much automation in vertical flight. With Airbus’ long history in aircraft certification and safety, we are uniquely positioned to realize large-scale automated flight within urban environments.
Airbus believes in the potential of Urban Air Mobility (UAM) to transform our cities for the better. By pushing the limits of technology in the fields of connectivity, artificial intelligence, autonomous systems and electric propulsion, our aim is to develop sustainable mobility systems that bring maximal societal benefit while causing minimal environmental impact. To this end, Airbus is harnessing its expertise across the company to develop solutions that will unlock the third dimension of urban mobility and offer viable alternatives to connect people.
As Project Manager, you will steer one or several ambitious projects part of the UAM portfolio, by planning and continuously monitoring activities, resources and risks. This is a unique chance to participate to the design of a new transportation system that aims at disrupting personal transport. You will coordinate the activity of teams based in the US and in Europe, produce accurate status reports, and use your insights to add value by making strategic recommendations to steer the project.
To get specific, your responsibilities will be to:
- Create and regularly update project plans using planning software (such as ProjectWizards Merlin or MS Project).
- Keep the plan coherent with the detailed data in JIRA (which is used for day-to-day task assignment and monitoring).
- Identify and actively manage risk and opportunities.
- Conduct periodic and ad hoc project data analysis and articulate results in tabular and graphical formats, reach conclusions and provide sound advice to top management.
- Issue periodic status reports on project costs, schedule and scope.
- Support the preparation for regularly scheduled meetings and reviews.
We expect you to have:
- At least three years of experience in project management.
- Excellent communication skills (strong coordination and relational skills to deal with internal and external partners, customers, authorities...) and demonstrated leadership in diverse teams (overseas exposure is ideal).
- Fluency in the use of project management software such as Microsoft Project or ProjectWizards Merlin.
- Familiarity with Agile project management tools and techniques and ideally you have managed sprints using Atlassian’s JIRA software.
- The ability to be extremely organized and rigorous, task-oriented, and methodical.
- A regard for necessary process mixed with a healthy skepticism for bureaucracy.
- An aeronautical background with experience in the aviation industry and a PMP qualification (not mandatory but desirable).
- Fluency in French and/or German (not mandatory but desirable).
You are a team player who enjoys learning continuously. You know how to earn the trust of a team and you are accountable for your actions. We need you to be technology savvy and adaptable, so you can develop new solutions to support the nascent UAM organization. Ultimately, we need you to be able to convey the fun, excitement, and fast pace of Airbus UAM.
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.