Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power self-piloted aircraft applications throughout Airbus, from small urban air vehicles (aka air taxis) to large commercial airplanes. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry - our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As Head of Software, you will report directly to the Director of Engineering of Wayfinder. You will be responsible for technical leadership of our software team. This team includes experts in deep learning and computer vision as well as generalists with broad experience in robotics and avionics software. We expect that you, too, will fit one of these categories, and that you will make direct contributions to the codebase while you ensure that it is clean and correct.
- Lead the software team by example: write good code and guide others in doing the same
- Design and implement software for Wayfinder’s core products
- Guide architecture, design, and implementation decisions across Wayfinder from a software engineering perspective
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related discipline
- 6+ years of professional experience in software engineering including significant time working on applications of deep learning, computer vision, or complex robotic systems
- 2+ years managing small teams in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, well-structured, and well-documented code
Strongly Preferred Qualifications
- Real-world experience developing software for robots, cars, or aircraft
- Knowledge of safety certification standards such as DO-178, DO-254, or ISO 26262
- Daily lunch and snacks, happy hours; social outings
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (25 days) in addition to national holidays
- Tuition reimbursement, professional development & $15,000 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym subsidy & more
A³ by Airbus is the Silicon Valley R&D outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A³ is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A³, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky and time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product.
A³ develops technology partnerships enabling us to work within the Silicon Valley ecosystem to meet project objectives while connecting our parent company to new developments and the talent here. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets and sponsors of projects that emerge from A³.