The Advanced Digital Design and Manufacturing (ADAM) project seeks to accelerate the Airbus transition towards a future of digital design and manufacturing. The team is uniquely positioned to identify and innovate on emerging technologies with collaborators in Silicon Valley and across the globe. ADAM provides a platform to drastically reduce Aerospace product lead-times and production costs. Through our tool-agnostic framework, we integrate existing and newly developed software solutions. We provide easy-to-use tools to design and automate processes in aerospace manufacturing.
A³ by Airbus is the Silicon Valley outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A3 is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A³, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky, time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product. One project is focused on advanced digital design and manufacturing processes and tools.
Your role as a Software Engineer will be to assist the Engineering Leads in executing a work package for an A³ project with a focus on speed, quality, and cost. You will need to understand the analytic framework and business case the project is based on and advocate it within groups internal to and external to the project. You will need to be comfortable using supplied data to make informed decisions regarding implementation of software use cases and be comfortable working in an agile work environment, where quick delivery, constant testing, and iteration are the norm. As our projects are “out-of-the-box” by design, you will be expected to seek, investigate, and implement creative solutions to challenges and obstacles that emerge. You will use your knowledge and talent as a Software Engineer to implement the software to demonstrate the project’s analytic framework.
To get specific, your responsibilities will include:
- Develop, document and maintain architectures, requirements, algorithms, interfaces and designs for software systems.
- Develop tools and processes to demonstrate the program analytic framework
- Contribute from a security and software engineering perspective during design of software systems
- Development of code and integration of complex software components into a fully functional system
- Creation of software verification plans, test procedures, and test environments, executing test procedures, and documenting the results to ensure software requirements are met
- Participation in code and architecture reviews as required
- Development of documentation for software written
- Aggressively pursue program-specific tasks and issues identified by the Engineering Leads, Project Executive
We expect that you will have:
- An undergraduate degree in a technical field and at least 3 years of progressively ambitious work experience and a demonstrated track record in Software Engineering and Testing.
- Strong Java or Python development experience
- Strong knowledge of web services (JAX, REST) and transfer protocols (HTTP, FTP, SOAP)
- Experience in creation of web-accessible Application Programming Interfaces
- Experience in creating web services from monolithic applications.
- Experience with database design and implementation, more specifically with PostgreSQL
- Excellent communication, presenting issues and ideas in a simplified form focusing on importance
In addition, the following skills and qualifications will be an advantage:
- Experience in Manufacturing Process Modeling
- Software development experience in a production environment
- Passion for increasing the productivity of engineering teams
- Ability to work under pressure to meet sometimes aggressive deadlines
To succeed in this position, you need to be willing to work with a flexible schedule including travel.
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
A³ by Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.