Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power self-piloted aircraft applications throughout Airbus, from small urban air vehicles (aka air taxis) to large commercial airplanes. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry - our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As a Software Engineer focused on data engineering, you will report directly to the Director of Engineering of Wayfinder. You will be responsible for helping to manage the massive amounts of data used for algorithm development across our team. You will work closely with other software engineers who focus on our infrastructure, deep learning algorithms, and data collection platform development.
Specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Designing and implementing scalable code and workflows to ingest various sources of data into our systems;
- Working with our simulation environment to generate datasets;
- Building tools to support our deep learning team as they design and train algorithms.
We expect you to have a degree from an accredited college in computer science, computer engineering, or a related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education. We also expect you will have:
- Expertise in Linux/Unix systems, scripting, and automation;
- Expertise in Python, including libraries commonly used for data manipulation such as pandas, SciPy, NumPy, and scikit-learn;
- Experience with building Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) workflows.
Strong preference will be given to candidates with experience in:
- Using Apache Airflow;
- Using relational databases;
- Using Elasticsearch;
- Processing large datasets using Apache Spark;
- Working with object storage systems such as S3;
- Software development in a production team environment;
- Working with virtualized, cloud-based, hybrid cloud, or distributed systems environments.
A³ by Airbus is the Silicon Valley R&D outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A³ is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A³, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky and time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product.
A³ develops technology partnerships enabling us to work within the Silicon Valley ecosystem to meet project objectives while connecting our parent company to new developments and the talent here. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets and sponsors of projects that emerge from A³.
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
A³ by Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.