Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power self-piloted aircraft applications throughout Airbus, from small urban air vehicles (aka air taxis) to large commercial airplanes. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry - our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As a Simulation Software Engineer, you will report directly to the Director of Engineering of Wayfinder. You will be responsible for the simulation platform to test and develop the systems used by our autonomous aircraft to perceive its environment. This simulation platform will allow us to test and iterate quickly to make sure our systems work before they fly and to investigate edge cases that come up in real world testing.
Unlike ordinary aerospace simulators, ours must also accurately simulate the data that our camera, radar, and lidar sensors produce as they perceive the environment. For this reason, you must have experience with advanced 3D graphics as well as physics-based simulations.
Specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Setting requirements for the realistic simulation of our flight environment, sensor suite, and relevant aspects of our aircraft;
- Deploying the required hardware and software in coordination with our infrastructure team;
- Building and automating simulations that test our autonomy software;
- Owning the simulation platform as it grows from a proof of concept into a critical element of our autonomous system development.
We expect you to have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, aerospace engineering, physics, robotics, or a related field, and at least two years of professional experience related to 3D graphics and physics-based simulations. We also expect you will have:
- Strong knowledge of rendering engines, physics engines, and other common elements of simulation platforms and tools;
- Familiarity with sensors including cameras, radar, GPS, IMU, and lidar;
- Experience programming in common languages such as Python and C/C++;
- Proficiency with Linux/Unix systems, scripting and automation;
- Software development experience in a production environment;
- Personal drive and intellectual curiosity to do what hasn’t been done before, coupled with an appreciation for overcoming challenges.
Strong preference will be given to candidates with:
- Knowledge of workflows for developing deep learning and computer vision algorithms;
- Real-world experience with mobile autonomous systems such as robots, cars, and UAVs.
A³ by Airbus is the Silicon Valley R&D outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A³ is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A³, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky and time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product.
A³ develops technology partnerships enabling us to work within the Silicon Valley ecosystem to meet project objectives while connecting our parent company to new developments and the talent here. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets and sponsors of projects that emerge from A³.
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
A³ by Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.