Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power self-piloted aircraft applications throughout Airbus, from small urban air vehicles (aka air taxis) to large commercial airplanes. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry - our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As a Senior Deep Learning Engineer, you will report directly to the Director of Engineering of Wayfinder. You will be responsible for the development of vision-based deep learning algorithms that enable autonomous aircraft to analyze, understand, and interact with their environment safely. These perception algorithms are critical to enabling our aircraft to fly without pilots.
- Designing, training, and tuning state-of-the-art vision-based deep learning algorithms to perceive the environment around autonomous aircraft on the ground and in the air
- Driving the efficient implementation of these algorithms for deployment to onboard computer systems
- Supporting the data flows that enable the development and testing of deep learning algorithms
- Communicating methods and results effectively to the rest of our team
- Leveraging your experience to provide technical leadership, mentorship of more junior engineers, and external communications of our work such as papers and talks
- Master’s degree in computer science, robotics, electrical engineering, applied mathematics, computational neuroscience, or a related field
- At least 4 years of professional experience related to computer vision applications
- Strong theoretical and applied knowledge of neural network architectures and computer vision algorithms for scene understanding including object detection, classification, segmentation, depth and motion estimation
- Experience developing novel deep learning models with TensorFlow, PyTorch, Caffe, or another common framework;
- Expertise in Python, Java, or C++
- Demonstrated ability to maintain currency with the latest developments in your field
- Personal drive and intellectual curiosity to do what hasn’t been done before, coupled with an appreciation for overcoming challenges
Strongly Preferred Qualifications
- Real-world experience with mobile autonomous systems such as robots, cars, and UAVs
- Familiarity with sensors including cameras, radar, and lidar
- Expertise in developing for GPU computation
- Experience optimizing trained deep learning models for deployment
- Software development experience in a production environment
- Daily lunch and snacks, happy hours; social outings
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (25 days) in addition to national holidays
- Tuition reimbursement, professional development or $15,000 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym subsidy & more
A³ by Airbus is the Silicon Valley R&D outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A³ is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A³, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky and time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product.
A³ develops technology partnerships enabling us to work within the Silicon Valley ecosystem to meet project objectives while connecting our parent company to new developments and the talent here. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets and sponsors of projects that emerge from A³.