A3 by Airbus is the Silicon Valley outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our mission at A3 is to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are building the future of flight.
Current A3 projects include developing electric self-piloted eVTOLs (flying taxis), running a platform/app for on-demand helicopters in the world’s largest cities, blockchain for supply chain, AI/machine learning for autonomous flying, and contributing to smart cities by supporting Airbus’s Urban Air Mobility effort.
A3 is building a revolutionary and world-class legal team. It has to, given its unique structure. A3 consists of several distinct, largely independent projects that operate simultaneously under a common support framework. A3 is designed to instigate--not be the victim of--strategic technological surprise. Hence, each project is revolutionary, ambitious, and operates at breakneck pace, and each has its concomitantly difficult legal challenges.
As Senior Product and Commercial Counsel, you would assist the A3 legal team in confronting these novel legal challenges and will be instrumental in bringing world-changing technology into existence.
Specifically, your duties would include:
- As the second in-house lawyer, serving as Associate General Counsel when needed, with opportunity for advancement to that position within a year for a strong performer
- First primary task: drafting, reviewing, and negotiating internal and external contracts and agreements (IP heavy)
- Second primary task: owning trade/export control compliance, escalating complex matters as needed (willing to learn this area of law if it’s new)
- Third primary task: assisting the General Counsel by counseling product/business leaders on legal matters ranging from employment to corporate governance, in consultation with outside counsel
- Other tasks include:
- Assisting the legal team’s efforts in the preparation, implementation, and refinement of contracting forms, processes and procedures
- Coordinating and assisting with general compliance processes
- Liaising with other Airbus legal teams worldwide
- Pitching in on legal administrative tasks to keep the trains running on time
- Providing substantive support to others on the legal team as needed
Successful candidates will have the following attributes/qualifications:
- Live in the Bay Area (or willing to relocate quickly) and willing to alternate working out of A3 offices in SF, Sunnyvale, and Santa Clara (e.g., SF on Monday, Sunnyvale on Tuesday/Thursday, Santa Clara on Wednesday/Friday)
- 5+ years' experience as an IP transactions lawyer at a top law firm or amazing company (will consider corporate lawyers or generalists with IP knowledge)
- Willing to travel in the US and worldwide (estimated two-to-five trips per year)
- Be a licensed attorney in good standing to practice as a member of the California Bar (or be eligible for admission as a registered in-house counsel)
- Possess a Juris Doctor or LLM degree from an accredited U.S. law school
- Have a track record of extraordinary execution and outstanding written work product, including an ability to translate highly complex legal issues into plain English
- A sharp mind and a calm, friendly demeanor that persists despite fast-paced work
- Caring: sympathy for internal clients and their goals
- Extremely detail-oriented and excellent at time management
- Willingness to learn new subject matter/stay current in areas such as trade/export control compliance
- Foreign language proficiency, technical background, and export control or employment law experience a huge plus
If this sounds like you, please apply! We are excited to hear from you. Please be sure to include a brief cover note making explicit reference to this position and why it is the right fit for you.
You might also be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package that includes subsidized flight training, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
A3 is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A3 are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.