As a Senior Deep Learning Engineer, you will report directly to the Director of Engineering. You will be responsible for the development of vision-based deep learning algorithms that enable autonomous aircraft to analyze, understand, and interact with their environment safely. These perception algorithms are critical to enabling our aircraft to fly without pilots.
Specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Designing, training, and tuning state-of-the-art vision-based deep learning algorithms to perceive the environment around autonomous aircraft on the ground and in the air;
- Driving the efficient implementation of these algorithms for deployment to onboard computer systems;
- Supporting the data flows that enable the development and testing of deep learning algorithms;
- Interfacing with external companies for tasks that support model development (ie. annotation, simulation, etc);
- Communicating methods and results effectively to the rest of our team.
We expect you to have an advanced degree in computer science, robotics, electrical engineering, applied mathematics, computational neuroscience, or a related field and at least two years of professional experience related to computer vision applications. We also expect you will have:
- Strong theoretical and applied knowledge of neural network architectures and computer vision algorithms for scene understanding including object detection, classification, segmentation, depth and motion estimation;
- Experience developing novel deep learning models with TensorFlow, PyTorch, Caffe, or another common framework;
- Expertise in Python, Java, or C++;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain currency with the latest developments in your field;
- Personal drive and intellectual curiosity to do what hasn’t been done before, coupled with an appreciation for overcoming challenges.
Strong preference will be given to candidates with:
- Real-world experience with mobile autonomous systems such as robots, cars, and UAVs;
- Familiarity with sensors including cameras, radar, and lidar;
- Expertise in developing for GPU computation;
- Experience optimizing trained deep learning models for deployment;
- Software development experience in a production environment.
A³ by Airbus is the Silicon Valley R&D outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A³ is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A³, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky and time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product.
A³ develops technology partnerships enabling us to work within the Silicon Valley ecosystem to meet project objectives while connecting our parent company to new developments and the talent here. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets and sponsors of projects that emerge from A³.
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
A³ by Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.