Project Vahana intends to open up urban airways by developing the first certified electric, self-piloted vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) passenger aircraft. We envision Vahana being as a cost-comparable replacement for short-range urban transportation like cars or trains. A core premise of this project is that full automation and sense-and-avoid technology will allow us to achieve higher safety levels by minimizing human error while allowing more vehicles to share the sky. As a platform, Vahana can be as diverse as its wheeled grounded counterpart when being used for cargo delivery, emergency services, search and rescue, or even as a tool to deploy modular infrastructure in disaster sites. There is no other project that we know of that incorporates this much automation in vertical flight. With Airbus’ long history in aircraft certification and safety, we are uniquely positioned to realize large-scale automated flight within urban environments.
As a Systems Engineer for Vahana, you will support a rapidly growing team in the development of complex systems involving both software and hardware workstreams.
You will ensure systems on the vehicle and on the ground are developed and operate as a cohesive whole. You will work closely with design engineers, certification, safety and cybersecurity specialists. You will ensure continual alignment of all stakeholders, flag potential deviations and provide insights for harmonization. You will report directly to the Head of Systems Engineering.
To get specific, your responsibilities will be to:
- Engage with key stakeholders to collect requirements and ensure harmonization throughout the different workstreams.
- Define and conduct trade studies, functional analyses.
- Ensure traceability and compliance throughout design, verification, and validation in accordance with industry standards
- Help define and own technical risk management process
- Provides support in developing, implementing, and/or administering engineering activities
- Develop and maintain configuration management system (BOM, CAD, Weight and Balance, Documentation)
Within 3 months you will:
- Get to know the team! Engage with key stakeholders and become familiar with our concept of operations, system architecture as well as regulatory and safety environment
- Formalize these discussions into a comprehensive set of well-formed requirements, track needs and discrepancies, propose and conduct analyses.
- Engage more deeply in system engineering and requirement management of a workstream in line with your technical background and interest (e.g. Software, Structures, Sensing, Propulsion, Navigation and Guidance, Operations).
- Support the deployment of our tools and processes
Within 6 months you will:
- Conduct your first requirement review
- Support the selection of a preferred technical solution
- Own the configuration management of your system
- Manage technical risks of your system
Within 12 months you will:
- Continually monitor the state of the product during the development process and ensure it closely tracks both stakeholders needs and documented requirements
- Refine detailed specifications, support supplier selection
- Engage in planning verification and validation activities
- Keep enforcing processes to ensure efficient design and compliance with industry standards
We expect that you will have :
- A bachelor degree or higher in a relevant subject such as Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Software engineering or Systems Engineering
- At least five years of relevant work experience
- Working knowledge of aircraft structures, avionics and sensors
- Experienced with development and test processes supporting aircraft certification (ARP4754, DO-178C, DO-254, DO-160G);
- Familiarity with requirement management tools (Doors, Enovia, Polarion..)
- Familiarity with Model Based System Engineering is a strong plus (Magicdraw, Rhapsody, Scade, Simulink)
- CAD/PDM experience is a plus
- Excellent communication skills
A³ by Airbus is the Silicon Valley R&D outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A³ is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A³, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky and time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product.
A³ develops technology partnerships enabling us to work within the Silicon Valley ecosystem to meet project objectives while connecting our parent company to new developments and the talent here. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets and sponsors of projects that emerge from A³.
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
A³ by Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.